[Mimedefang] Anti-spam breakthrough from Roaring Penguin

Richard Laager rlaager at wiktel.com
Wed Apr 5 18:58:51 EDT 2017

On 04/05/2017 04:20 AM, Jan-Pieter Cornet wrote:
> Funny thing is, this method of both accepting AND rejecting

Speaking of both accepting and rejecting...

On a serious note, I wonder if anyone has built this:

if (greylisting says to tempfail)
{
    # add a header, such that this message will be delivered to the
    # user's Junk folder

    resend_message();

    # store some data so we can find the message later

    action_tempfail();
}
else
{
    if (we accepted this message before)
    {
        # reach out to Dovecot, move the message from Junk to Inbox
        # (possibly if and only if it is still unread)

        action_discard();
    }
}

This pseudo-code assumes stream_by_recipient() or enhancements for users
with different filtering preferences. This also requires greylisting to
happen at DATA, not RCPT.

We would accept the message (but deliver it to the Junk folder) while
reporting a tempfail to the sender. If the sender retries correctly, we
move the message from Junk into Inbox.

This means my Inbox gets all the advantages of greylisting. I also get
every message delivered immediately; if I need a "password reset" email
or something from a new sender on the phone, I can look in my Junk folder.

--
Richard