[Mimedefang] Installed FPScan and it's just hanging and then timing out.

Steffen Kaiser skmimedefang at smail.inf.fh-bonn-rhein-sieg.de
Fri Feb 5 01:47:25 EST 2016

On Thu, 4 Feb 2016, mimedefang at bass-speaker.com wrote:

> F-PROT Antivirus for Linux Workstations - 1 user
> #9    Corporate Use    Subscription

is there a fpscand executable shipped with? That's the demon and is more
performant, however, you might run in access permissions problems, if it
does not run as root or, if used with MimeDefang only, as the Defang user.

> my($lclscannertwocode, $lclscannertwocategory, $lclscannertwoaction) =
> message_contains_virus_fpscan();
>
> then mimedefang does indeed start the virus scanner, but it just seems to
> hang for about 10mins and then times out I guess
>
> here is the result from ps -ef for the scan
>
> defang   23812 22632  0 20:11 ?        00:00:00 /usr/local/bin/fpscan
> --report --archive=5 --scanlevel=4 --heurlevel=3 ./Work

First(ly), I would try to patch mimedefang.pl in sub
message_contains_virus_fpscan () to include
"--nospin </dev/null" as option to fpscan. --nospin disables the
progress bar and </dev/null disables interactivity.

And if the problem persists prefix the while command with
"strace -f -o /tmp/strace.fp.$$ " or similiar for your system.
So you could see at which point the problem comes up and which syscall it
is. Maybe add one of -r, -t, -tt, -ttt and/or -T near -f.

> root at mailserver01a:/var/spool/MIMEDefang/mdefang-u14KBLch023801# cat
> /proc/23812/stack
>
> [<ffffffff811c6ba1>] pipe_wait+0x61/0xa0

does this mean, fpscan is blocked on write? Maybe --nospin helps here.

> This is now beyond my scope I think, I tried this :

That's the test.pl, right?
Try to run it without an terminal attached, e.g.

nohup perl test.pl & wait

Use the same shell (sh, bash, tcsh, dash, ...) that starts the MIMEDefang
demon.

- --
Steffen Kaiser