[Mimedefang] Connecting Clamd via inet socket?

Benoit Panizzon benoit.panizzon at imp.ch
Mon Dec 5 07:46:21 EST 2016

Hi all

Thank you for the comments. I wrote that email a bit in a hurry, because
we have an 'old' installation which uses MIMEDefang where we cannot
update clamd (and the OS base) anymore. Clamd keeps crashing with new
definition files.

So as a quick fix I got clamd on our new filter installation listining
to an inet socket and failed to have this connected from MIMEDefang on
the old one trying to set $clamdsock = "inet:clamdhost:port" or similar.

After sending the email I read on what I could find on the toppic.

Yes, the problem is that MIMEDefang passes the path to be scanned to
the clamd socket, so the file needs to be local on the machine running
clamd.

Of course it would not bee too dificult to add: ClamAV::Client to
mimedefang-filter and then use the scan_stream method which, as I
understand, would use the INSTREAM command to pass the content to be
scanned to clamd.

I'm not sure yet, if INSTREAM takes care of unpacking zip payloads and
similar. I have not tested and probably will not have the time to do so.

I guess I'll have to put a higher priority on moving the remaining
customers from our 'old' infrastructure to the new one.

-Benoît Panizzon-
--
I m p r o W a r e   A G    -    Leiter Commerce Kunden