[Mimedefang] Sendmail SOCKETMAP

Andrzej A. Filip andrzej.filip at gmail.com
Wed Apr 27 15:17:03 EDT 2016

Dianne Skoll <dfs at roaringpenguin.com> wrote:
> On Wed, 27 Apr 2016 20:54:43 +0200
> "Andrzej A. Filip" <andrzej.filip at gmail.com> wrote:
>
>> If your ambition is hardly limited then you may donate sendmail.org
>> "socketmap alike over UDP". It could be simple assuming design for
>> unix sockets.
>
> In our tests, the overhead wasn't the socket communication; it was the
> cost of doing the map lookups in Perl.

With or without sendmail's "excessive" schemes of  lookups?
[ e.g. up to seven (?) loops for virtusertable, four lookups per
IPv4 address even without CIDR support]

With sendmail.cf changes number of lookups can be reduced "a few times+".

> And since we don't have any compelling use-case for it, I let the
> feature languish.

It may be used to allow mimedefang (dynamically) control:
* greeting pause
* allowed rate of connections per given IP adress/net
* allowed number of connections per given IP address/net

IMHO I may make sense to create list of features with
"secondary support" instead of deleting them (at once).

*BUT* socket map based features will be "less portable" to other MTAs.