[Mimedefang] Sendmail SOCKETMAP

Dianne Skoll dfs at roaringpenguin.com
Wed Apr 27 14:30:12 EDT 2016

On Wed, 27 Apr 2016 18:41:57 +0100
Dave Osbourne <dave at osbourne.uk.eu.org> wrote:

[Dianne]
> > 2) Does anyone use the "-N map_sock" feature that provides a
> > SOCKETMAP to Sendmail 8.13+?  If not... again, I'd like to nuke.

[Dave]
> I don't really know what this is...  have a exposed my ignorance? We
> do use sendmail though... is there somewhere I can read about this to
> know whether there will be an issue when we next update?

Sendmail has various map types, the best known of which is the Berkeley DB
map that typically implements access, mailertable, etc.

Sendmail 8.13+ has provisions for a network protocol to do map lookups
over sockets instead of doing Berkeley DB lookups.  In theory, this
lets you do cool things, but we found in practice the performance hit
was very high.

If you don't know what SOCKETMAP is, you're almost certainly not
using it. :)

Regards,

Dianne.