[Mimedefang] Poll: Who uses the "filter_tick" and "map" functionality of MIMEDefang? (-X and -N options to mimedefang-multiplexor)

Dale Moore Dale.Moore at cs.cmu.edu
Wed Apr 27 13:47:12 EDT 2016

I used to use filter_tick to basically do keep-alives on the tcp connection
from the milter to a database or ldap server.  This, I hoped,
would solve the problem of the remote server silently
closing the connection down because of inactivity.

I found that it was more appropriate to instead
  - Keep track of approx last time the connection was used.
  - And if the last time it was used was larger than some threshold
   =  I would first issue a noop or other low cost operation
   = If the noop failed, I would reestablish the connection
   = If the noop succeeded, I would merely continue

So I no longer need the filter_tick function.

(Nor do I use the '-N sock_map' feature.)

Thanks for asking,