[Mimedefang] Odd "error state"

Joseph Brennan brennan at columbia.edu
Wed Oct 28 14:47:40 EDT 2015

I'm looking for any insight on what caused this odd event in the log.
Below, these are the only two lines for sendmail process 12377 and the only
one line for queue id t9SHqutp012377.

The second line shows a recipient address (changed here) that really was
User unknown, but no from= line is logged. I don't know how to duplicate
that. As expected I cannot send RCPT before MAIL at port 25.

And in the same second sendmail said Milter went to an error state. I went
back 5 minutes and see no error messages logged by Mimedefang itself, so I
have nothing to track that down with.

Oct 28 13:52:56 paneer sendmail[12377]: [ID 801593 mail.info] NOQUEUE:
Milter (mimedefang): to error state

Oct 28 13:52:56 paneer sendmail[12377]: [ID 801593 mail.notice]
t9SHqutp012377: address123 at columbia.edu... User unknown

Joseph Brennan