[Mimedefang] How to parse pdf files or pass them to spamassassin

Dianne Skoll dfs at roaringpenguin.com
Fri May 29 10:29:54 EDT 2015

Replying to myself...

> So I'm thinking you could run the PDF through that, add a text/plain
> part to INPUTMSG with MIME::tools and pass that to SpamAssassin.  You
> wouldn't actually modify the original message; just temporarily add
> the text/plain part.  Something like this:

There are a couple of downsides I can think of:

1) Regenerating a new MIME message and passing that to SpamAssassin may
make slight changes to the headers that could hide spam cues.  So you don't
want to modify messages that do not have PDF attachments.

2) Some PDF files are huge, especially ones produced by scanners, so you have
to be careful not to DoS your server.

Regards,

Dianne.