[Mimedefang] Seeing weird SMFI errors

Philip Prindeville philipp_subx at redfish-solutions.com
Mon Jul 27 01:26:07 EDT 2015

On Jul 26, 2015, at 7:42 PM, Dianne Skoll <dfs at roaringpenguin.com> wrote:

> On Sun, 26 Jul 2015 18:03:38 -0600
> Philip Prindeville <philipp_subx at redfish-solutions.com> wrote:
>
>> Jul 26 17:44:31 mail mimedefang[31780]: t6QNhOYb027848:
>> smfi_addheader returned MI_FAILURE
>
> Sendmail timed out (that's in the Milter (mimedefang): timeout before
> data read log line) so it tempfailed the mail and exited.
>
> MIMEDefang, of course, had no idea that happened.  So when filter
> processing is finally done and mimedefang tries to call
> smfi_addheader, the original Sendmail process is long gone and the
> milter pipe is broken, hence the libmilter call fails.
>
> Regards,
>
> Dianne.

Okay, thanks.  So the next question… how to fix it?  Would increasing the milter timeouts resolve the issue?

I’m currently configured as:

Xmimedefang, S=unix:/var/spool/MIMEDefang/mimedefang.sock, F=T, T=S:1m;R:1m;E:5m

(I guess ‘C’ is just defaulting to 300, which is hardcoded in sendmail/milter.c …)

Or could it be that something is just hanging indefinitely, and if so, how do I go about fixing this?  Because 1 minute seems like a REALLY long time to wait on sending or receiving data…

-Philip