[Mimedefang] Seeing weird SMFI errors

Philip Prindeville philipp_subx at redfish-solutions.com
Thu Aug 13 13:10:36 EDT 2015

On Aug 11, 2015, at 9:06 PM, Dianne Skoll <dfs at roaringpenguin.com> wrote:

> On Tue, 11 Aug 2015 16:24:25 -0600
> Philip Prindeville <philipp_subx at redfish-solutions.com> wrote:
>
>> You'll take a patch?
>
> Possibly, but I think I've made my feelings pretty clear, that filter_helo
> is not really something I like in MIMEDefang.  I'd prefer to remove it,
> to be honest.  But yes, if you send a patch I'll consider it.
>
> Regards,
>
> Dianne.

Well, no one has to use filter_helo() that doesn’t want to.

We do and I love it.  We see a lot of machines saying “HELO friend”, “HELO localhost”, “HELO localhost.localdomain”, “HELO 66.232.79.143”, “HELO [66.232.79.143]”, “HELO 192.168.2.33”, etc and it’s handy to tempfail these hosts so that they keep trying and waste their own resources.

Anyway, here’s the patch.  I added the parameter to both filter_helo() and filter_relay() since TLS can be present for either stage.  For instance, in Sendmail:

O DaemonPortOptions=Port=465, Name=MSA, Family=inet, M=Es

i.e. the ’s’ modifier in the list of ‘Modifier’ (M) parameters telling Sendmail to speak SSL over this socket (v8.13 and later).