[Mimedefang] Re: Missed executable attachments with empty Content-Type

Tomasz Ostrowski tometzky at batory.org.pl
Wed Apr 29 05:51:30 EDT 2015

On 2015-04-28 16:10, Dianne Skoll wrote:

>> However, you're right... MIMEDefang is not picking up the attachment
>> name.  I will look into it.
>
> Actually, I'm wrong... in CanIt, we do pick up the attachment name
> by using $entity->head->recommended_filename.  I have no idea
> why it's not working for you; this is very mysterious.

I've found the cause - I have outdated MIME-tools. Distributions I use,
CentOS 6 and CentOS 5 (clones of RHEL 6 and 5), provide very outdated
MIME-tools 5.427. In 5.505 Changelog from 2013-11-14 there's:
> * Fix bug in header parsing that would fail to parse a header like:

I've managed to work around this without conflicting with system's
package management like this:

# Downloaded latest version of MIME-tools
# from http://search.cpan.org/~dskoll/MIME-tools/ to /tmp/

# Extracted it:
cd /tmp; tar xf MIME-tools-*.tar.gz; cd MIME-tools-*

# Created a directory for updated MIME-tools module:
mkdir /etc/mail/mimedefang-lib

# Installed the module:
perl Makefile.PL INSTALL_BASE=/etc/mail/mimedefang-lib/
make install

# Added module path to search path in mimedefang run script
echo export PERL5LIB=/etc/mail/mimedefang-lib/lib/perl5/ >> \
	/etc/sysconfig/mimedefang

# Restarted mimedefang:
service mimedefang restart

This might be useful for other RHEL/CentOS/Scientific/Oracle Linux
users. Thank you, Dianne, for your help.

Regards
Tometzky
--
...although Eating Honey was a very good thing to do, there was a
moment just before you began to eat it which was better than when you