[Mimedefang] mimedefang with spamassassin -- incorrect score assessed

Justin Edmands shockwavecs at gmail.com
Wed May 21 16:28:33 EDT 2014

Mimedefang list,
We currently use mimedefang and spamassassin on our relays. It appears
that recently the relays stopped assessing a proper spam score. Some
spam will get through, while others with the same format and will be
blocked. I am making an assumption about wrong score based on a spam
message not being detected and then copying the source(headers etc) to
http://spamcheck.postmarkapp.com/ to test the score. I'll see some
messages pass that are in the 10's. super spam, but still gets
through.

I have everything setup in /etc/mail/sa-mimedefang.cf. Originally it
appeared that I needed to flush out the
/etc/mail/spamassassin/bayes_{toks,seen,journal} files to allow it to
regenerate a new DB for spam scores.

All files in /etc/mail/spamassassin are defang:defang. I have to fix
these on the bayes_ files from time to time. Any idea why these change
to root:root every night? I assume cron job, etc. Not sure outside of
that.

/etc/mail/sa-mimedefang.cf:

required_score 3.4
ok_locales en
skip_rbl_checks 0
skip_uribl_checks 0

#Custom Rules
score ALL_TRUSTED 0.0 0.0 0.0 0.0
score AWL 0.0 0.0 0.0 0.0

#Bayesian auto-learn config
bayes_path /etc/mail/spamassassin/bayes
auto_whitelist_path /etc/mail/spamassassin/auto-whitelist
bayes_file_mode 0644
auto_whitelist_file_mode 0644
bayes_learn_to_journal 1
bayes_journal_max_size 102400