[Mimedefang] Extension blocking (was What AV scanners do you use? and was Re: Any Sophie users out there?)

David F. Skoll dfs at roaringpenguin.com
Fri Mar 21 09:22:24 EDT 2014

On Fri, 21 Mar 2014 10:45:46 +0000
Andrew Watkins <andrew at dcs.bbk.ac.uk> wrote:

> I should tighten up on our extension blocking.

Talking of extension blocking, I found a very nice tool called "lsar"
that's part of the "unar" package.  This is packaged in Debian
("apt-get install unar") and source is available here:

http://code.google.com/p/theunarchiver/downloads/list
(grab unarVERSION_src.zip)

The lsar command can list the contents of just about any archive
format: ZIP, RAR, tar.gz, tar.bz2, etc.  We use it to peek inside
archive files for EXE, etc. files.