[Mimedefang] Warning: Malformed MIME virus in the wild

David F. Skoll dfs at roaringpenguin.com
Wed Feb 12 11:26:04 EST 2014

On Tue, 11 Feb 2014 22:19:01 +0100 (CET)
Kees Theunissen <C.J.Theunissen at differ.nl> wrote:

> I found this old message when I was searching my mailboxes for
> malformed "Content-Disposition" MIME headers.
> Note that the "name=" field in the Content-Disposition header above is
> also wrong. This should be a "filename=" field.

Actually, IANA allows name=xxx also:
http://www.iana.org/assignments/cont-disp/cont-disp.xhtml though the
RFC that page references refers to HTTP form submission, not email.

> I'm wonderering if mimedefang.pl and/or MIME::tools could and should
> detect and handle such malformed messages.

I suppose we should check for both name and filename (and change
whichever one(s) is/are present.)