[Mimedefang] ClamAV effectiveness

Andrew Watkins andrew at dcs.bbk.ac.uk
Fri Oct 11 07:34:44 EDT 2013

I have to agree that ClamAV seems well behind other software packages.

I do get a numbers of attachments e-mail to me which I then check via
https://www.virustotal.com and they are then reported as a virus.

ClamAV is open source so I guess it does a good job for us people who
can't purchase a commercial package.

Andrew

On 10/11/13 00:36, WBrown at e1b.org wrote:
> DFS wrote on 10/10/2013 12:08:04 PM:
>
>> Has anyone noticed that ClamAV does a pretty poor job lately of
>> catching viruses?  Here are a few days' worth of statistics from a
>> reasonably-busy mail server cluster:
>
> Not seeing it being caught by Symantec or McAfee on mail servers behind
> our CanIt system either, so it's not just ClamAV.
>

> Confidentiality Notice:
> This electronic message and any attachments may contain confidential or
> privileged information, and is intended only for the individual or entity
> identified above as the addressee. If you are not the addressee (or the
> employee or agent responsible to deliver it to the addressee), or if this
> message has been addressed to you in error, you are hereby notified that
> you may not copy, forward, disclose or use any part of this message or any
> attachments. Please notify the sender immediately by return e-mail or
> telephone and delete this message from your system.

Andrew Watkins * Birkbeck, University of London * Computer Science *
* UKOUG Solaris SIG Co-Chair *
http://notallmicrosoft.blogspot.com/