[Mimedefang] Bad Extensions in suggested example filter

Kevin A. McGrail KMcGrail at PCCC.com
Tue Nov 5 13:30:17 EST 2013

Hello everyone, I had a vCal file blocked today with the extension
.vcs.  I had three questions:

1 - Why is .vcs blocked?  Does it have an exploitable vector that I
couldn't figure out?

2 - I also block the mim extension which is the Multi-Purpose Internet
Mail Message File format MIME Files. But sadly I don't remember why.

3 - Has anyone written description of all the extensions and a short
what/why description?  If not, I'll take a pass at it.  (example below).

Regards,
KAM

ade
adp
app
asd
asf
asx
bas
bat - Executable batch file - Can launch malware
chm
cmd - Executable batch file - Can launch malware
com - Executable file - Can launch malware
cpl
crt
dll
exe - Executable file - Can launch malware
fxp
hlp
hta
hto
inf
ini -
ins
isp
jse?
lib
lnk
mdb
mde
msc
msi
msp
mst
ocx
pcd
pif
prg
reg
scr
sct
sh
shb
shs
sys
url  - File with a web URL that can open nefarious
vb
vbe
vbs
vcs