[Mimedefang] How to change envelope sender?

Tilman Schmidt t.schmidt at phoenixsoftware.de
Tue May 7 16:26:22 EDT 2013

Am 06.05.2013 09:13, schrieb Benoit Panizzon:
>> Backscatter OTOH is a nuisance, which should be minimized of course, but
>> cannot be completely avoided. Blacklisting because of backscatter would be
>> a Bad Idea (TM) which I thankfully never encountered so far, but if
>> someone did that it would certainly be their own fault if they blocked
>> legitimate mail as a result. In my experience, misguided measures like
>> that tend to get lifted very quickly if senders and (intended) recipients
>> of blocked mails are informed in no unclear words who's responsible for
>> the communication failure.
>
> Well, there are such blacklists I can tell you as a tech at an ISP. [...]
> We had even the case where one single email was sent over our infrastructure
> to a 'special' spamcop.net spamtrap causing immediate blacklisting of our main
> outbound server. And spamcop.net is widely used.

There are all kinds of misguided blacklists. So far, the following
procedure has served me well for these cases:

1. Try to contact the blacklist's operators and get the listing removed.

If that fails:

2. Try to contact the administrator of the mailserver using the
blacklist and ask him or her to stop using that blacklist on grounds
that it lists servers (such as mine) without justification and refuses
to remove such listings.

If that fails:

3. Explain to the sender and recipient of the blocked mail exactly why
it was blocked, who is responsible for it, and who refused to do
something about it.

Step 3 usually results in a complaint by someone paying for a service to
the one providing that service, and thereby in a belated success of
either step 1 or step 2.

Specifically, I have convinced more than one mail server administrator
to stop using Spamcop because it blocked legitimate mail to paying
customers of theirs. As Spamcop itself insists: it's never the
responsibility of the blacklist operators if a mail is blocked, but
always the responsibility of the mailserver administrator who decided to
use that blacklist.