[Mimedefang] filter_recipient rejecting entire message instead of individual recipient

David F. Skoll dfs at roaringpenguin.com
Thu Mar 7 09:49:58 EST 2013

On Thu, 07 Mar 2013 09:02:00 -0500
Joseph Brennan <brennan at columbia.edu> wrote:

> Is the Tbird behavior different with tempfail and permanent fail?

I believe so.  I think it gives up completely if any RCPT fails for
any reason (4xx or 5xx).  IMO, this is the right thing to do.

How should a MUA react to a tempfail?  Prompt the user to keep trying?
Keep trying by itself?  (Then you've implemented half of an MTA.)

Submission servers should do their best not to tempfail, IMO.