[Mimedefang] filter_recipient rejecting entire message instead of individual recipient

Joseph Brennan brennan at columbia.edu
Thu Mar 7 09:02:00 EST 2013

"David F. Skoll" <dfs at roaringpenguin.com> wrote:

> Shridhar S Shetty <shridhar at staff.ownmail.com> wrote:
>
>> We have a situation where filter_recipient discards messages to
>> entire recipient list when a single recipient gets tempfailed when
>> sending email via email client (Thunderbird).
>
> Yes, that's how mail clients work.

I don't know about that.

Take a case without any MIMEDefang involvement. Suppose the recipients are
local and the submission server detects that one is a User Unknown. Or
suppose a domain is typo'd and does not exist. That RCPT will get a 550
response.

I recall, when Eudora was still in vogue, that Eudora would stop at the
550, and make you remove the address, and then you could go again,
repeating until your whole address list was good.

But as far as I know other clients send to the valid addresses and tell the
user about the invalid ones. That's the right thing to do.

Of course Android phones will just keep sending to the invalid address :-)

Is the Tbird behavior different with tempfail and permanent fail?

Joseph Brennan