[Mimedefang] mimedefang and incoming facebook email

Kees Theunissen C.J.Theunissen at differ.nl
Tue Dec 31 16:30:10 EST 2013

On Tue, 31 Dec 2013, cc wrote:

>Hi,
>
>I'm using Sendmail with mimedefang.
>
>Recently a co-worker was having trouble with a company facebook
>account and got Facebook to send her a 'reset-password' email.
>
>When she received it, it came only with the following message:
>
>    This message contains a rich-text HTML portion. Consult
>    your mail client's documentation for information on how to
>    view it.
>
>After I disabled mimedefang, the e-mail went through properly.
>
>My question is, how come I couldn't find "This message ..."
>in mimedefang's sources?
>
>I know that mimedefang alters e-mails.  I'm just curious
>as to where this message came from if I can't find it
>in the mimedefang sources.  I guess, ergo, it isn't mimedefang;
>but, re-enabling it gives me that message.
>
>Any clarifications appreciated.

Have a look at http://tools.ietf.org/html/rfc2046 and search
for the word "preamble". The lower part of page 20 shows a simple
example of a message with a multipart message body that contains
a preamble, two text parts and an epilogue.

In short: the preamble of a multipart mime entity is an optional
text preceding the part(s) of the multipart entity.
The preamble is normally not shown by mime-aware user agents.

It looks like you received a multipart message with a preamble
and only a single HTML text part and that you instructed mimedefang
to delete the HTML part. That leaves the original preamble as
the only contents of the resulting message body.

Regards,

Kees Theunissen.

--
Kees Theunissen,  System and network manager,   Tel: +31 (0)30 6096724
Dutch Institute For Fundamental Energy Research (DIFFER)
e-mail address:   C.J.Theunissen at differ.nl
postal address:   PO Box 1207, 3430 BE Nieuwegein, NL
visitors address: Edisonbaan 14, 3439 MN Nieuwegein, NL