[Mimedefang] add_recipient inconsistent results on postfix

Benoit Panizzon benoit.panizzon at imp.ch
Mon Dec 23 05:35:11 EST 2013

Hello

We moved from sendmail to postfix (unfortunately but my admin colleagues
whated it that way).

We use MIMEDefang to do some sender / recipient rewriting, mainly to implement
email forwarding in a SRS compatible way.

Now I have found a situation, where add_recipient apparently fails, but I'm
not yet able to tell why.

We got a local user, benoit at ambonet.ch

Now that user is forwarding his emails to:

test1 at example.com
test2 at example.com
test3 at example.com

MIMEDefang doest this:

compute SRS sender
change_sender($srs-sender)
delete_recipient(benoit at ambonet.ch)
add_recipient(test1 at example.com)
add_recipient(test1 at example.com)
add_recipient(test1 at example.com)

This works, the sender is rewriten, the email is received by all three
recipients.

Now that user wants to still have a copy deliviered to his inbox:

MIMEDefang doest this:

compute SRS sender
change_sender($srs-sender)
add_recipient(test1 at example.com)
add_recipient(test1 at example.com)
add_recipient(test1 at example.com)

The only diference is, that I don't delete the recipient.

Now my MIMEDefang debug output show, that all the parts changing sender and
recipients are run.
But postfix then ignores those changes and delivers the email only via lmtp
and only to benoit at ambonet.ch. The sender is not rewritten.

I did als try:

add_recipient(benoit at ambonet.ch)
add_recipient(test1 at example.com)
add_recipient(test1 at example.com)
add_recipient(test1 at example.com)

Same result, only local delivery.

Does anyone have a hint where to look for the cause of that problem?
Or is there some postfix restrictions, that sender/recipients only can be
rewritten if after that rewrite none of the recipients are local.

Postfix 2.10.2 in use.

Btw, is there a way to tell postfix what to do in case a milter fails? No hits
with Google....

Kind regards

Benoit Panizzon
--