[Mimedefang] Constructing MIME::Entity via new

Philip Prindeville philipp_subx at redfish-solutions.com
Tue Apr 30 13:39:57 EDT 2013

I'm not quite getting something in the MIME::Entity documentation.  It says:

PUBLIC INTERFACE
   Construction
       new [SOURCE]
           Class method.  Create a new, empty MIME entity.  Basically, this
           uses the Mail::Internet constructor...

           If SOURCE is an ARRAYREF, it is assumed to be an array of lines
           that will be used to create both the header and an in-core body.

           Else, if SOURCE is defined, it is assumed to be a filehandle from
           which the header and in-core body is to be read.

           Note: in either case, the body will not be parsed: merely read!

but when I try:

my $pop = Net::POP3->new('localhost', Port => 8110, Timeout => 15, Debug => $debug);

for (my $i = 1; $i <= $msgs; ++$i) {
  my $lines = $pop->top($i, 0);

  my $msg = MIME::Entity->new($lines);				<< line 38

  print $msg->as_string();
}

I end up seeing:

you cannot use body() to set the encoded contents
 at ./test070.pl line 38

which seems to contradict the manual.

How does one normally construct a MIME::Entity from the stream off-the-wire?  I don't really care if the body is parsed or not, since I'm obviously only fetching the headers (i.e. the "body-lines" count to Net::POP3::top() is 0).

Thanks,

-Philip