[Mimedefang] stream_by_recipient() and Postfix (was: Like action_replace_with_url(), but not quite)

Philip Prindeville philipp_subx at redfish-solutions.com
Fri Sep 14 17:29:54 EDT 2012

On 9/14/12 2:50 PM, David F. Skoll wrote:

> As per the mimedefang-filter man page:
>
>       This  function  should  only  be called at the very beginning of
>       filter_begin(), like this:

Nathan had written:

  I know that the documentation states that stream_by_recipient should
  only be used in filter_begin, but isn't that only a suggestion based on
  overloading a server? Looking through the code it isn't really clear to
  me why it would be a problem from a technical standpoint.

which no one seemed to dispute, so I took that to mean that it was safe, if somewhat inadvisable, to call stream_by_recipient() from filter_end().

The documentation of stream_by_recipient() is a little thin, in particular the return value, and whether one needs to call action_discard() to avoid duplicate delivery, or if it takes care of that for you (which would seem not to be the case, at least in my usage).

-Philip