[Mimedefang] Requeue failed messages

Kevin A. McGrail KMcGrail at PCCC.com
Thu Oct 18 09:27:45 EDT 2012

On 10/18/2012 5:01 AM, Jon Rowlan wrote:
> Yes, Outlook express and Outlook do. However, I was curious as I have
> used the method to place the mails into the IMAP server for Squirrelmail
> to collect and no users have complained of corruption. Yesterday I
> placed the mails into the IMAP folders and they were all displaying
> perfectly with all attachments intact. I simply forwarded them to my
> email account and onto the users concerned. Just in case anyone needs to
> do this in future that seems to work a treat.

It's not a question of corruption.  It's a question of identifying
recipients.

This explanation of the SMTP command RCPT TO will explain better:

*RCPT TO* is dual to MAIL FROM; it specifies the intended recipient of
the mail. One piece of mail can be sent to multiple recipients simply by
including multiple RCPT TO commands (see the section on mail relaying,
which explains how this feature is sometimes abused on insecure
systems). The given address turns into the so-called "envelope To" (see
Section Whatever); it actually determines who the mail will be delivered
to, /regardless of what the To: line in the message says/.  from
http://www.owlriver.com/spam/stop-spam.html

Fetchmail also has a good explanation under their multidrop description
http://www.fetchmail.info/fetchmail-man.html#44.

Right now, with the method you have used, you have no record of that
envelope To but you should have intact emails otherwise.

For a small number of emails, no mailing lists, no BCCs, etc. you might
get lucky and the To: header is in fact accurate enough to get by.

Sorry to beat a dead horse but I want to make sure others know that they
really have to use the action to quarantine the entire message.  And I
hope you've changed your filters to using it!

Regards,
KAM