[Mimedefang] X-Auto-Response-Suppress header

Kris Deugau kdeugau at vianet.ca
Thu May 17 16:15:44 EDT 2012

kd6lvw at yahoo.com wrote:
> I take a stronger approach:  Since M$ Exchange is incapable of generating proper "Received:" headers, I reject all mail which has transited such a system using that software.
>
> If one looks carefully, their chosen syntax violates even the old RFC 821/822 standards (STD 10), let alone the 5321/5322 modern versions.

If you're running anything beyond a trivial private/boutique server,
this will end up causing problems for your users sooner or later.

Even as the admin of many hats for a small ISP a while back (~1500
dialup users plus a handful of dedicated wireless links and ~50 hosted
domains) I wouldn't have implemented a policy like that;  too many
customers received perfectly legitimate (if tainted-by-Exchange) mail.
Or used our mail system as a smarthost.

I wouldn't even do this on my *own* personal machine;  all three main
accounts periodically receive mail that's passed through an Exchange
machine.

All that said....   Your system, your policy.

-kgd