[Mimedefang] Received headers in general

David F. Skoll dfs at roaringpenguin.com
Tue May 22 19:46:58 EDT 2012

On Tue, 22 May 2012 16:18:49 -0700 (PDT)
kd6lvw at yahoo.com wrote:

> Put that in contrast where RFC 5321 says MUST with regard to using
> the syntax listed therein for generating trace headers, your
> statement and policy loses every time.  A "must use" directive has no
> discretion.  I reject not because I choose to but because the
> standard says I must.

I think you are reading a different version of RFC 5321 than the rest
of us.  My version says:

   ... As another consequence of trace header fields arising in
   non-SMTP environments, receiving systems MUST NOT reject mail based
   on the format of a trace header field and SHOULD be extremely
   robust in the light of unexpected information or formats in those
   header fields.

It seems to me that your rejection of email solely because of an invalid
trace header violates a MUST NOT dictum of RFC 5321.