[Mimedefang] Indication of list poster's mail volume required?

Paul Murphy pjm at ousekjarr.org
Tue May 22 17:23:49 EDT 2012

Perhaps it is time to encourage the list subscribers to publicise how
many addresses they are filtering for, and what volume of traffic they
see.  That way, when someone makes a contentious statement, we know it
only affects them and their dog.

For example, when someone says "I've been blocking all mail claiming to
be from Hotmail with an X-Outlook-Version header and never had a false
positive", it would be useful to know whether they are a national ISP
with 2 million customers using a cluster of 80 MD/SA hosts, or a keen
geek with a Debian system on an old 386.  One sees several million
messages per day, and the other under 100.  How much weight would you
put on an opinion from either of them?

In this spirit of disclosure, having started using MIMEdefang about 8
years ago in organisations of a couple of hundred staff, I now use it
just for my home addresses and a couple of low volume mailing lists, so
~80 users in total of which only 2 are local.  About 500 messages per
week, so I'm on the lower end.  Previously, my corporate server handled
~15000 messages per day.

Paul.