[Mimedefang] X-Auto-Response-Suppress header

John Nemeth jnemeth at victoria.tc.ca
Wed May 16 19:16:00 EDT 2012

On Oct 6,  5:23pm, George Roberts wrote:
}
} If one looks carefully, RFC 5321 3.7.2 states:
}
} "As another consequence of trace header fields arising in non-SMTP
} environments, receiving systems MUST NOT reject mail based on the
} format of a trace header field and SHOULD be extremely robust in the
} light of unexpected information or formats in those header fields."
}
} I'm not going to quote the whole RFC to you, but from what I've read
} it's pretty clear that the Received: line is for debugging purposes
} ("... the most important use of Received: lines is for debugging
} mail faults ...", Section 3.7.2).  I'm hard-pressed to find any
} justification for blocking of mail generated or handled by Exchange.
} In fact, I think it's pretty clear the RFC states you MUST NOT block
} them.

     No RFC can tell you what you MUST or MUST NOT block.  That is a
local policy issue under the control of whatever authority is
responsible for a site.  Do I think this is a silly policy that is
likely to cause major problems?  Given the amount of mail that passes
through exchange servers, of course I do.  But, it is his policy to
make and his right to do so.