[Mimedefang] Return Codes from filter Functions

David F. Skoll dfs at roaringpenguin.com
Wed Mar 7 19:50:42 EST 2012

On Wed, 07 Mar 2012 18:06:21 -0600
Richard Laager <rlaager at wiktel.com> wrote:

> Is there a reason that filter_{relay,helo,sender,recipient} use return
> codes to indicate message handling where filter and
> filter_{begin,multipart,end} use action_{bounce,discard,tempfail}?

Yes.  The first group correspond one-to-one to various SMTP events
and commands.  The second group do not; they correspond more closely
to the structure of the MIME message.

> Would there be any interest in patches which merge those behaviors? If
> so, which way?

I think you'll find it's not easy to change the behaviors without a major
rewrite of the Perl code.  This has been on our TODO list for a long time,
but it never seems to happen...