[Mimedefang] filter_sender, authenticated or smtp (port 25) Connections

Philip Prindeville philipp_subx at redfish-solutions.com
Sun Mar 4 01:51:41 EST 2012

On 3/3/12 4:17 PM, Les Mikesell wrote:
> On Sat, Mar 3, 2012 at 2:03 PM, Philip Prindeville
> <philipp_subx at redfish-solutions.com> wrote:
>>
>> Well, that's wrong. Going to IANA, I see:
>>
>> http://www.iana.org/assignments/service-names-port-numbers/service-names-port-numbers.xml
>>
>>  <record>
>>    <name>urd</name>
>>    <protocol>tcp</protocol>
>>    <description>URL Rendesvous Directory for SSM</description>
>>    <number>465</number>
>>  </record>
>>
>> 465 has *never* been allocated to SMTP.  Period.
>>
>> It was hijacked.
>>

> Hijacked is pretty strong wording - it was officially proposed,
> conditionally accepted, then later dropped:
>
> http://www.imc.org/ietf-apps-tls/mail-archive/msg00204.html
>
> I guess that's the way committees roll...

Didn't know all of the backstory to that, thanks.

Seems a bit reckless that anyone started pushing out production software using ports that we tentatively allocated but not yet officially approved.

Then again, I remember releasing the first implementation of RFC-1048 at FTP Software with the vendor-specific information cookie being set to OREO before Jon Postel put the kibosh on that...

-Philip