[Mimedefang] Quick Question

Tilman Schmidt t.schmidt at phoenixsoftware.de
Wed Jun 13 03:40:02 EDT 2012

Am 13.06.2012 08:19, schrieb kd6lvw at yahoo.com:
> --- On Tue, 6/12/12, Nathan Findley <nathan at zenlok.com> wrote:
>> When I restart mimedefang (or perhaps
>> for other reasons), I sometimes find a folder(s) remaining
>> in the MIMEdefang spool directory. Is there a way to
>> continue to re-process this mail? Or is sendmail sending a
>> proper try again/bounce message to the sender? I am just
>> concerned about proper delivery of all mail through my
>> system.
>
> Doesn't your mail syslog tell you?

Ah, a classical non-answer.

@kd6lvw: Even though, in every individual case, the sendmail
log will indeed tell you what it did to the mail, there is
still value in posing the general question.

@Nathan: Sendmail will indeed take care of making sure that
every mail message is either delivered or properly bounced.
(Except if your rules tell it otherwise of course.)
Specifically, if MIMEdefang dies while processing a mail,
Sendmail notices and signals an error to the sending server,
which will then (if it is a properly working mail server)
either retry or bounce.

HTH
Tilman

--