[Mimedefang] FYI: LinkedIn MIMEDefang group is gone

Kevin A. McGrail KMcGrail at PCCC.com
Wed Jun 6 14:19:53 EDT 2012

Overall, On 6/6/2012 1:18 PM, Ben Kamen wrote:
> On 2012-06-06 12:02 PM, David F. Skoll wrote:
>> Hi,
>>
>> After the LinkedIn password fiasco, I have deleted my LinkedIn
>> account.  Because I was the owner of the MIMEDefang group, I had to
>> delete that too.
>
> I've been wondering what to do too...
>
> Between Facebook privacy and LinkedIn incompetence...
>
> Thankfully, LinkedIn uses a reasonably unique password unlike anywhere
> else I run on the web.
>
> But the incompetence.. ugh...
>
> I want to shout, "what is wrong with these companies" --- but I
> already know the answer.
>
> It's not pretty. In fact, it's pretty depressing.

My understanding is that at least LinkedIn stored the passwords in SHA-1
format.  They need to add a salt to make things less susceptible to
look-up tables but assuming you used a unique and strong password, your
login is fairly safe.

The bigger issue is that they usernames are email addresses.  So I think
we may see an uptick in spam from that portion of the exploit.

However, I use dedicated, unique email addresses for the vast majority
of my accounts as I'm sure others on this list do.  If there is an
exploit, I should be able to track it as I have been for MANY other
major companies that have had their databases exploited.

In short, yes, LinkedIn had a breach apparently.  However, if you use
decent passwords that are unique as any security person will extoll, the
damage should be highly limited.

Regards,
KAM