[Mimedefang] DKIM In MIMEdefang

Ben Kamen bkamen at cornelius.benjammin.net
Mon Jul 16 16:45:58 EDT 2012

On 2012-07-16 3:23 PM, David F. Skoll wrote:
> On Mon, 16 Jul 2012 15:18:22 -0500
> Ben Kamen <bkamen at cornelius.benjammin.net> wrote:
>
>>> We use Mail::DKIM directly from MIMEDefang to sign messages.
>
>> Erm, so if you would please elaborate a little further...
>
> We have a little routine like this in our filter:
>
> sub dkim_sign
> {

(snip)

> }
>
> and we call it for outbound mail.

so it's not in there by default -- that's good to know.

>> If I send a message through my server (sendmail) via port 465/587
>> through the sendmail MSA... how does this affect signing of messages
>> through sendmail's DKIM-milter?
>
> Use one or the other, but not both.

I didn't think both would be a good idea. hahah... oy!

>> Which one would I be better off using for outbound email? Sendmail or
>> MimeDefang?
>
> It depends.  We use MIMEDefang because it allows more flexible policy.
> We can choose whether or not to sign outbound mail based on whatever
> criteria we like... we might not want to sign all outbound mail.

  That's exactly what I needed to know..

Thanks again,

  -Ben

p.s. Happy user of MIMEdefang since like 2003 or 2004 or something. It's been a LONG time.

--
Ben Kamen - O.D.T., S.P.
eMail: ben at benjammin.net                      http://www.benjammin.net