[Mimedefang] Clamd permissions on Centos with mimedefang

Philip Prindeville philipp_subx at redfish-solutions.com
Sun Jan 15 15:53:38 EST 2012

On 1/12/12 10:44 PM, David F. Skoll wrote:
> On Fri, 13 Jan 2012 20:18:59 -0700
> Philip Prindeville <philipp_subx at redfish-solutions.com> wrote:
>
>> -    umask(077);
>> +    umask(027);
>
> I don't think we want to set the umask to 027 unconditionally.  But the
> new "-G" option should set the umask so that files are group-readable
> and sockets are group readable/writable, I think.
>
> Regards,
>
> David.

Quoting mkdir(2):

       The  argument mode specifies the permissions to use.  It is modified by
       the process's umask in the usual way: the permissions  of  the  created
       directory  are  (mode & ~umask & 0777).  Other mode bits of the created
       directory depend on the operating system.  For Linux, see below.

So when mimedefang.c:get_fd() does:

    sample_fd = open(buf, O_CREAT|O_APPEND|O_RDWR, 0640);

This results in (0640 & ~077 & 0777) or (0640 & 0700 & 0777) or (0640 & 0700) or 600... i.e. no group writability.

So the patch that I sent is correct and has been tested.  Repeating the math, we get (0640 & ~0270 & 0777) or (0640 & 0750 & 0777) or (0640 & 0750) or 0640.

Quoting open(2):

       O_CREAT
              [...]

              mode specifies the permissions to use in case a new file is cre‐
              ated.  This argument must be supplied when O_CREAT is  specified
              in  flags;  if  O_CREAT  is not specified, then mode is ignored.
              The effective permissions are modified by the process's umask in
              the   usual  way:  The  permissions  of  the  created  file  are
              (mode & ~umask).  Note that this mode  only  applies  to  future
              accesses of the newly created file; the open() call that creates
              a read-only file may well return a read/write file descriptor.

And that's the same description (it elides the masking with 0777 since sticky-bits, etc. are legal).

-Philip