[Mimedefang] [OT?] Random Word Spam

Richard Laager rlaager at wiktel.com
Fri Feb 10 18:04:22 EST 2012

I ended up blocking this by dropping text-only email (i.e. messages with
no part with a content type of /text\/html/i) for this one particular
recipient. The attack has since ended and I'm about to remove that
special-case.

On Thu, 2012-02-09 at 14:49 -0500, David F. Skoll wrote:
> The random word spams: Do they all have message IDs starting
> "CHILKAT-MID" ?  The three samples Michael sent me had that,
> and I found this on Google:

I (foolishly) didn't save a pile of samples, but the one example I had
handy has that Message-ID format. I can't believe I didn't think to
check the Message-ID format before.

I had looked at the X-Mailer headers, and they were all random real mail
client values. In other words, one might be Outlook, another one
Evolution, another Thunderbird, another Eudora, etc.

--
Richard