[Mimedefang] Mail Admin Question

David F. Skoll dfs at roaringpenguin.com
Fri Aug 17 14:52:45 EDT 2012

On Fri, 17 Aug 2012 19:33:15 +0100
"Jon Rowlan" <jon.rowlan at sads.com> wrote:

> I can see the benefits of both sides, my question was simply, why is
> there an assumption that the problem is caused by a badly managed
> Exchange system?

Ah, sorry.  I was replying snarkily about the competence of most Exchange
admins, not really about the original post.

To be sure: There are probably many very competent Exchange admins and
I bet you're one of them.  The problem is that Exchange is *so*
popular that there are way more incompetent Exchange admins than
competent ones.

If you pick a random Exchange admin from the whole population, you're
more likely to end up with an incompetent one than if you try the same
thing with Sendmail admins, for the simple reasons that Sendmail is
less popular than Exchange and it requires a certain level of
competence (masochism?) to get *anywhere* :)

Microsoft markets its products as easy to use and to set up.  That's
probably true on a superficial level so you end up with thousands of
admins with only superficial knowledge.