[Mimedefang] MIMEDefang 2.72 is Released

Philip Prindeville philipp_subx at redfish-solutions.com
Thu Oct 27 13:42:31 EDT 2011

On 10/19/11 2:46 PM, kd6lvw at yahoo.com wrote:
> Then log it in the MTA if MD doesn't support it.
>
> Here's the SIMPLE logging statement I use with sendmail:
>
> SLocal_check_relay
> R$*             $: $(log "Connection: "$&{if_addr}" ("$&{if_name}") "$&{daemon_port}" <- "$&{client_addr}" "$&{client_port}" C:"$&{client_connections}" R:"$&{client_rate} $) $1
>
> As noted, I log also the interface name (since I have SMTP virtual hosting), connection count, and rate info too.  The client's name gets checked by another rule which occurs later, so it shows up a couple of lines following in my logs.  Therefore, I felt it was unnecessary.
>
> Note:  check_relay runs before there's a queue ID generated, so all these messages will start with a literal "NOQUEUE: Connection: " string.

I think people prefer to do it in Mimedefang, because it's a richer/simpler environment. I think more people understand Perl than do sendmail.cf files. As for Postfix? I don't think you even can.

Plus what if I want to open a different file, or use a different logging priority/facility?  You can't set those in sendmail's rulesets.

-Philip