[Mimedefang] Simplifying installations re: $Features{}

Philip Prindeville philipp_subx at redfish-solutions.com
Tue Nov 15 20:31:12 EST 2011

On 11/15/11 2:46 PM, David F. Skoll wrote:

> Well... really?  What about:
>
> $Features{'Virus:CLAMD'} = (-f '/usr/sbin/clamd' || -f '/usr/local/sbin/clamd' || -f '/opt/SUNWoracle/sbin/clamd);
>
> The point of the ./configure script is to search all those weird and wonderful
> paths at build time.

Well, right. But the build target isn't always the same as the run-target.  Especially for RPM-based builds.

That's pretty much my point.

> I don't like the idea of MIMEDefang suddenly leveraging other packages
> just by virtue of their being installed.  Instead, I recommend ignoring
> the whole compile-time $Features{...} mess and putting explicit
> $Features{...} assignments in your filter so you know exactly what you're
> getting.

Yes, there's that... except that I don't like to modify scripts themselves in /usr/bin... since that's a "program" and not "configuration data".

Yes, I'm a holdover from the days of diskless Sun workstations were /usr was mounted read-only...

-Philip