[Mimedefang] stream_by_recipient

David F. Skoll dfs at roaringpenguin.com
Fri Mar 25 07:34:33 EDT 2011

On Fri, 25 Mar 2011 16:46:47 +0900
Nathan Findley <nathan at zenlok.com> wrote:

> Just wondering if stream_by_recipient is expected to trigger the
> following log messages:

> Mar 25 16:30:15 asp2 sendmail[13478]: p2P7UFJs013478: to=<rec1>,
> delay=00:00:00, mailer=esmtp, pri=30632, dsn=4.4.3, stat=queued

Yes, that's normal.  We resend the messages in deferred mode so they
get queued.  Here's why: Imagine a 100-recipient message being streamed.
If we remailed 100 copies in non-deferred mode, that would try to fire
up 100 parallel MIMEDefang processes.  Not good.  Queuing the copies
serializes subsequent delivery.

> Specifically, the messages are being queued, but tools like mailq
> show an empty queue. It seems that given enough time the messages are
> eventually sent out. I would rather the messages not be queued, but
> that they be immediately processed. Is this possible?

No, see above.  What we do on our systems is set the Sendmail client queue
interval very short (one minute or so) to mitigate the delay.