[Mimedefang] Multiplexor trouble
skmimedefang at smail.inf.fh-bonn-rhein-sieg.de
Tue Jun 14 02:59:35 EDT 2011
-----BEGIN PGP SIGNED MESSAGE-----
On Tue, 19 Oct 2010, Steffen Kaiser wrote:
> If the error would tempfail the message, well, it's low volume; but the
> most problem is that the milter returns results of different queries to
> the sendmail process:
> sm-mta-ext: o9FB1Ls1031396: Milter: to=<[existant-internal-user]>,
> reject=550 5.1.1 <[non-existant-one]>: SMTP VRFY: 550 5.1.1
> <[non-existant-one]>... User unknown
sorry, that I did not reported back, I was triggered by a request for a
follow up, so here it is:
My problem went forth some months. The number of erroreous replies did not
increase, but were not be seen for a week once in a while. However, the
log entry indicates that an existing user was rejected, pretending to be a
non-existing user. The other way round, that a non-existing user was
accepted because an existing user was looked up instead, was never
logged, hence, this number is unknown.
I restarted all services and even the whole machine at least once, nothing
helped. I checked the data of the queried users and also made some general
tests, e.g. I dumped the whole user DB and made a "check some records by
glancing at them". I sent duplicates of the messages, even interleaved
sendings dups of a series of three or four messages.
At one point the local copy of OpenLDAP running as a cache and
automatically replicated by the central OpenLDAP via the syncprov overlay
went awry _detectably_, I mean ldapsearch returned clearly incorrect
results often and finally the slapd process died, when I poked it hard.
So I removed the local copy of the OpenLDAP database, restarted the
demon and about 15 minutes later the mail server was stable again.
I do not know why sendmail got the result of a previous query of
MIMEDefang, I also dunno why rebuilding the user DB helped.
- -> I'm not sure that rebuilding the user DB fixed the cause of my problem
or if really a hardware failure is the source. But the server is working
several months now without errors.
-----BEGIN PGP SIGNATURE-----
Version: GnuPG v1.4.6 (GNU/Linux)
-----END PGP SIGNATURE-----
More information about the MIMEDefang