[Mimedefang] More than one From address

Rolf E. Sonneveld R.E.Sonneveld at sonnection.nl
Thu Aug 25 10:46:36 EDT 2011

On 8/25/11 3:58 PM, WBrown at e1b.org wrote:
> Todd wrote on 08/25/2011 09:42:19 AM:
>
>> Thanks also for the information about multiple From addresses... in the
>> 15+ years I've been in IT and managing email, I'd never seen messages
> with
>> multiple From addresses before.
> I recall discussions either here or on some other list where spammers were
> using multiple From: header entries to try to get past.  One would have
> your address, or at least your domain, which they hoped would be the one
> to show up in your mail client so you would trust it, and hopefully, the
> filter would look at the other one so it wouldn't block the email because
> it was from your domain.

Hmm, there is a difference between:

a) a message with multiple From header lines (each having one or more
addresses)
b) a message with only one From header line, which contains multiple
addresses

a) is not standards compliant, while b) is.

I assume the original poster was discussing variant b) while you talk
about variant a), correct?

/rolf