[Mimedefang] Content-type mystery

Rolf E. Sonneveld R.E.Sonneveld at sonnection.nl
Tue Aug 16 08:28:46 EDT 2011

Hi,

running MIMEDefang 2.71.
I'm running into the following problem. I have a mimedefang-filter
script, which tries to determine the message's (top or outer) header
content-type to decide what to do with the message:

sub filter_begin {
    my($entity, $name, $ext, $type) = @_;

    $head = $entity->head;
    $toptype = $head->get('Content-type');

Now this run's fine when I send 'multipart' messages through the filter
(i.e. messages with a content type multipart/... in the header). The
content-type is determined correctly and can be used to decide what to
do next.

However, as soon as I send a text/plain message through the filter, the
content-type that is 'seen' by the mimedefang-filter is not
'text/plain', but it is 'multipart/mixed'. Then, when this same message
is received (unalterated) by the recipient, the content-type is just
'plain/text' as it originally was (not 'multipart/mixed').

Analysing this problem, I decide to dump the complete header of the
message to a log file. This showed me that the original content-type was
not present in the $head object, instead the $head object had a
content-type line at the end of the header.

Input header (injected with telnet via port 25):