[Mimedefang] what are the different headers possible?

Steffen Kaiser skmimedefang at smail.inf.fh-bonn-rhein-sieg.de
Thu Apr 21 03:10:08 EDT 2011

On Thu, 21 Apr 2011, fakessh wrote:

Hi fakessh,

please keep in mind that MIMEDefang bases on a complete programming
language with plenty of modules. You need to learn this language in order
to get the configuration work in a production environment properly.

> changes made ​​without any result: here is my code
>
>                my $gi = Geo::IP->open("/usr/share/GeoIP/GeoIP.dat",
> GEOIP_STANDARD);
>                my ($country, $region) = $gi->region_by_name($RelayAddr);
>                action_add_header("X-Header-Country", "$country");
>                action_add_header("X-Header-Region", "$region");

I don't use Geo::IP either (as Joseph Brennan), but I refer to the doc on
http://search.cpan.org/~borisz/Geo-IP-1.38/lib/Geo/IP.pm

citate:

"
( $country, $region ) = $gi->region_by_addr('24.24.24.24');
Returns a list containing country and region. If region and/or country is
unknown, undef is returned. Sure this works only for region databases.
( $country, $region ) = $gi->region_by_name('www.xyz.com');
Returns a list containing country and region. If region and/or country is
unknown, undef is returned. Sure this works only for region databases.
"

Things to consider to get the code going:

1) MIMEDefang only knows the numerical IP the connection comes from, the
symbolical name stems from reverse DNS lookups, hence, I would never use
region_by_name() personally, but stick to region_by_addr(). Otherwise you
need to know how region_by_name() behaves, if you pass it "[a.b.c.d]"
symbolical names for IPs, that does not resolve.

2) region and country may be undef, hence, you ought to handle the case
the function does not return defined values.

3) open() may fail, too, you ought to handle that case as well.

Regards,

- --
Steffen Kaiser