[Mimedefang] Good morning to the MIMEDefang List, , , It seems that some of my machines running Slackware experienced an upgrade to the sudo package last night., This morning, I've got MIMEDefang multiplexor refusing to start, stating the following...

Todd Aiken todd.aiken at ubishops.ca
Thu Sep 16 09:27:53 EDT 2010

On Sep 16, 2010, at 2:53 AM, Stefan Schoeman wrote:

> Good morning to the MIMEDefang List,
>
> It seems that some of my machines running Slackware experienced an
> upgrade to the sudo package last night.
> This morning, I've got MIMEDefang multiplexor refusing to start, stating
> the following:
>
> Starting mimedefang-multiplexor:
> /usr/local/bin/mimedefang-multiplexor: Unable to
> chdir(/var/spool/MIMEDefang): Permission denied
> [FAILED]

Hi Stefan.  I think the problem is you updated your sudo package too soon, as two more updates to the same package have occurred due to bad permissions on /var.  Not sure what version of Slackware you are running, but take a look at the Slackware-13.1 changelog:

Wed Sep 15 18:51:21 UTC 2010
patches/packages/sudo-1.7.4p4-i486-3_slack13.1.txz: Rebuilt.
       Hi folks, since the patches for old systems (8.1 - 10.2) were briefly
       available containing a /var/lib with incorrect permissions, I'm issuing
       these again just to be 100% sure that no systems out there will be left
       with problems due to that. This should do it (third time's the charm).
+--------------------------+
Wed Sep 15 05:58:55 UTC 2010
patches/packages/sudo-1.7.4p4-i486-2_slack13.1.txz: Rebuilt.
       The last sudo packages accidentally changed the permissions on /var from
       755 to 700. This build restores the proper permissions.
       Thanks to Petri Kaukasoina for pointing this out.

Just updated my Slackware server, and MIMEDefang still starts up fine.  Try running another update.

CU L8R...

Todd A. Aiken
Systems Analyst & Administrator
ITS Department
BISHOP'S UNIVERSITY
Sherbrooke, Quebec, CANADA

HTML in email is like putting an air conditioner on a motorcycle.