[Mimedefang] "<>" problem

Stephen L Johnson stephen.johnson at arkansas.gov
Wed Sep 1 11:20:16 EDT 2010

On Tue, 2010-08-31 at 20:49 -0500, Kenneth Porter wrote:
> --On Tuesday, August 31, 2010 12:48 AM -0700 - <kd6lvw at yahoo.com> wrote:
>
> > 1)  I don't see use of SpamAssassin (or any other spam detector) to
> > review the content for possible spam.  Perhaps you should add it (or
> > one).  Fortunately, MD will see SA if installed, so I suggest that you
> > install it via perl's CPAN.
>
> Not unless the entire system is under CPAN package management. If it's
> RPM-based, use RPM. Always use the package management system of your
> distro, or Bad Things start happening, as the native package manager will
> have conflicting information about what's actually installed on the system.

I'll echo this. Mixing CPAN and RPM packaged/installed perl modules is
just asking for problem. Most, if not all, of the perl modules that
Mimedefang uses are available as RPMs through either the distribution's
repos or add on repos. If you must use CPAN modules, they is a nifty
program called cpan2rpm. It will pull down the specified perl modules
from CPAN and build RPMs out of them.

And I know that people generally want new versions of SpamAssassin than
the repos have. But SpamAssassin builds nice to RPMs straight from the
tarball.
--
Stephen L Johnson  <stephen.johnson at arkansas.gov>
Unix Systems Administrator / DNS Hostmaster