[Mimedefang] Mailing lists, ham, and broken MUA's

Philip Prindeville philipp_subx at redfish-solutions.com
Wed May 5 12:18:33 EDT 2010

On 5/5/10 1:36 AM, Steffen Kaiser wrote:

> I operated a list with internal members as well, where the character
> set were scored high by _some_ recipients. Although the message text
> was plain English, but the signature, the sender's name, organisation
> header a.s.o. sometimes not.
>
> There had been training on both sides of the list to get the messages
> through smoothly.

I figure if the message is going to be bounced, bounce it once and close
to the source... so the source, if he's cooperative, can learn from the
feedback and do something about it.

Having the end-user bounce back to the list maintainer just creates a
lot of extra work for the list maintainer.

So you can either reject messages that aren't in usascii/latin (to an
English language list), or transcode them.

As I see it, those are the two choices.

-Philip