[Mimedefang] Mailing lists, ham, and broken MUA's

David F. Skoll dfs at roaringpenguin.com
Tue May 4 10:24:05 EDT 2010

Philip Prindeville wrote:

> Would it make sense for people using mailman or listmaster, etc. to pass
> the message through mimedefang to transcode the message body?

IMO, no.  There are too many weird edge cases to be sure of getting this
right.  And discarding possibly useful information is not a good idea.

If you run a mailing list and you want everything to be in English, just
outright reject messages with bad encodings.  (The MIMEDefang list rejects
HTML and I haven't had many complaints about that.)