[Mimedefang] Seeking Mimedefang/Sophie Help

Anne Bennett anne at encs.concordia.ca
Sat Mar 20 08:54:57 EDT 2010

> indeed the case that I've got to create a separate Sophie
> procedure in `/etc/init.d' that is timed to work in concert
> with the startup and shutdown of MD and sendmail?

You do indeed need a separate rc file to start/stop the Sophie
daemon at boot and shutdown.  As for the timing, ideally, make
sure Sophie starts before MD, and is shut down afterwards.
But if you don't, all that will happen is that a few messages
may get deferred with "virus scanner offline".

For the start-up, they don't all have to "work in concert" closely,
but it works best if the order is:

  - start Sophie
  - start MD
  - start sendmail
  - (run)
  - stop sendmail
  - stop MD
  - stop Sophie

In practice, you can restart Sophie (for new virus definitions) or
reload or even restart MD (if you change the filter) without having to
worry about the other two programs - the whole thing is fairly robust,
and The Right Thing (mail is deferred) happens if one is missing.

Anne.
--
Ms. Anne Bennett, Senior Sysadmin, ENCS, Concordia University, Montreal H3G 1M8
anne at encs.concordia.ca                                    +1 514 848-2424 x2285