[Mimedefang] Seeking Mimedefang/Sophie Help

Andris Kalnozols andris at hpl.hp.com
Sat Mar 20 06:07:38 EDT 2010

I'm just getting started with Mimedefang after running
MailScanner for a few years.  My rig is a Debian/squeeze
system running sendmail and Sophos supplied by Corp IT.

For now, I just have a one-line `/etc/mail/mimedefang.pl.conf'
file that defines the virus scanner.  When it was set to this:

  $Features{'Virus:SOPHOS'} = '/usr/local/bin/sweep';

a test message known to contain an infection was trapped and
disposed of according to the mail log.

To avoid the overhead of invoking `sweep' for every message, I
compiled v3.06BETA of Sophie and changed mimedefang.pl.conf to:

  $Features{'Virus:SOPHIE'} = '/usr/local/bin/sophie';

The files

  /usr/local/etc/sophie.cfg
  /usr/local/etc/sophie.savi

are correctly configured as far as I know, with the socket
path set to `/var/spool/MIMEDefang/sophie', Mimedefang's
default.  The "Running as user" and "Socket group" settings
are both set to "smmta", the same user that is configured
for Mimedefang.

Because Mimedefang knows that `/usr/local/bin/sophie' is the
pathname of Sophie per the above %Features configuration,
I kind of expected that when MD was started, it would run
the Sophie program which would then create the properly
configured socket file in preparation for message scanning.
Such is not the case; unless I start Sophie manually, MD
TempFails the SMTP delivery of the test message because the
Sophie socket file does not exist.

Am I missing a separate MD configuration setting or is it
indeed the case that I've got to create a separate Sophie
procedure in `/etc/init.d' that is timed to work in concert
with the startup and shutdown of MD and sendmail?

Thanks,
Andris