[Mimedefang] mimedefang letting some spams through...why?

Kees Theunissen theuniss at rijnh.nl
Sun Jan 31 18:25:44 EST 2010

On Sun, 31 Jan 2010, - wrote:

>--- On Sun, 1/31/10, Tony <tonj at freeuk.com> wrote:
>> ...  My filter is here:
>> http://www.zen187664.zen.co.uk/spam/mimedefang-filter-rejecting.txt
>
>    if ($hits >= 5) {
>    action_bounce("Rejected: my server thinks your email is spam.");
>    return;
>    }
>
>This section, if taken, NEVER writes a "[SPAM]" tag to the subject,
>nor does it write a "X-Spam-Score:" header.  This should cause an SMTP
>rejection if called directly from the MTA.
>
>    action_change_header("X-Spam-Score", "$hits ($stars) $names");
>    # Tag subject if over threshold
>    if ($hits >= $req) {
>    action_change_header("Subject", "[Spam: $hits] $Subject");
>    }
>
>This section, assuming that "$req" is less than 5 so that the code is
>reached, will tag spam but LET IT PASS.

A tag added by this code would be written in mixed case and would contain
$hits (e.g. [Spam: 4.321]). A message tagged with a literal "[SPAM]" in
the subject -as stated in the original posting- was certainly NOT tagged
by this code.

Regards,

Kees.

--
Kees Theunissen
F.O.M.-Institute for Plasma Physics Rijnhuizen, Nieuwegein, Netherlands